Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A Question of Taste Bud Marketing

After publishing the Tea Time blog, an email hit my inbox (jacob.gaffney@yahoo.co.uk) from one of my sources. After interviewing Matthew Brown of Echo Chamber, a company that spies on businesses for other business, for an article for Wine Spectator, he then read my entry, and responded. I have always told people, that when I'm wrong, I will say so and Matt says there are, in fact, decent Tea merchants in this world, and argues that Twinings is simply providing a product made to the specifications of their consumer. Fair enough. Thank you, Matt.

Here is what Brown had to say:

Like the blog – good fun to read – love the trailer too – very high production values and you come across really well – I’d love to see the full thing on telly.

As for your rant about Twinings tea conformity – take a look at my review of T2 Tea Too in Australia –

http://www.echochamber.com/secure/outofworldmain.asp

T2 is a fantastic chain store that sells only loose leaf teas, and revels in the varieties, inconsistencies and ‘vintages’

This ties into two trends we talk about – ‘Authetiseeking’ and ‘Anti-Big’ (anti corporate and anti homogenous) So it just goes to show that there is a market for every taste!

Hope we can hook up for a drink when I get back from Dallas

M

No comments: