Monday, August 07, 2006

Cabernet Sauvignon Retrospective

Cabernet Sauvignon. It's everywhere. All at once. It seems most wine has a trace of it somewhere. All of California, Australia, Bordeaux, Spain, Italy. So I decided to try a few different offerings in order to get a feel for future blog tastings.

But, before that, the TV pilot was turned down by Channel 4! The commissioning editor, Meredith Chambers, didn't even want to see it and rather canned their involvment based on my one-paragraph email. She said the idea was interesting and 'just might work.' Onward and upwards.

I will back post some blogs of rejection emails soon, promise. But real quick, the BBC is not accepting independent projects right now. Cable television, here we come.

So Cabernet. Luckily, I love the grape. Started several evenings ago with Sterling Vineyards Napa Valley 2003. Wasn't sure on the vintage, and paid £13 for it at Budgens. The website said to expect "cherry, cassis, blackberry and a hint of black oilve," umm, yes. I got that, except the black olive. I would also elaborate that the wine is seamless. Just a really lovely wine, with great balance and strength. It still suffers from that California sweetness, which is sometimes downright offensive, but not here. Nice.

The next night, Concha y Toro 2004 Chile. Cabernet Sauvignon. Looking at the bottle I thought I should have started with the cheapest first, instead of working my way backwards. Londis, £5. At this price, you should be happy if the wine is drinkable and not unpleasent. Actually for five pounds, a wine won't have much to reveal, and shouldn't have to. The Concha Cab is just OK, I would tell you all about it, but I think you all have probably had it, and know what I am talking about.

The next night. Jacob's Creek 2004, £5, Costcutter. I have avoided the 'Creek', well, forever. Something about it, besides having a like name, rubs me the wrong way. And as soon as I tried it, I realized what bugs me about the wine is, in fact, the taste. This wine is evil. Pure.

It smells awful and things only get worse from there. I will leave it at that.

So, I opened the Wolf Blass 2004 President Selection Cab, £8 Costcutter. You know, Wolf Blass used to kick ass. Popularity has turned Wolf Blass into the wine world's Pearl Jam. What about the music? It should have been so much better, especially following the Jacob Creek. I'm not going to go more into this one either, except stop buying it until I get a written apology from the Australian wine industry.

Dear Aussies, what have you done to this grape!?!? I will hunt down a decent Australian Cabernet for between £5 to £8, or, so help me god, I will stop eating at the Outback Steakhouse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very entertaining.lots of fun to read! have you tried the Black Opal vineyard or Reynolds? my Fave austrailian (other than Kidman). d

Anonymous said...

very entertaining.lots of fun to read! have you tried the Black Opal vineyard or Reynolds? my Fave austrailian (other than Kidman). d

Anonymous said...

I knew that you could get a lot of flavors from wine, but olives?? Of course I prefer the sweeter wines---always had a bit of a sweet tooth. JK